Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Second Semester Goals

After a restful holiday vacation, I have come back to Chinquapin reinvigorated for the upcoming semester. While the first semester was great, and I am happy with how my classes went and my growth as an educator, I know I have a long way to go. The most important quality in a good teacher, is being a good learner, and anyone who wants to be successful in education is going to have to be an excellent student of the profession. To that end, here are my goals for this upcoming semester:

1. Be more prepared. This goal is self explanatory, but there is no better feeling than leaving a classroom and knowing that you actually taught something and hopefully left them with more questions than answers. I can count on one hand the number of great lessons I taught, and maximizing those great lessons is the best way to get better. Being prepared is the best way to maximize great lessons. While the new year is only two days old, so far, so good...

2. Do more labs in science class. Labs are what the students enjoy the most, and science is meant to be a hands-on exploration of the world around us. Last semester I often got caught up in the details of teaching facts, and while facts have a time and place, I think 6th grade science should emphasize building curiosity and a joy of learning. Having an experiment-based science class is the best way to accomplish this.

3. Take on more. I'm not sure what form this goal will take, but I don't want to leave Chinquapin thinking I did an 'okay' job. I'm only here for a year, so there is really no point in 'leaving anything in the tank', so to speak. Perhaps after taking on too many responsibilities I'll reach my breaking point, but how will I know what that point is if I don't push myself to do everything I can to help this community. This goal definitely encompasses the other two, but is more of a general reminder to work my butt off.


2 comments:

  1. I especially like #3. I'm trying to do the same at work. I figure, if you're going to spend your time doing something, might as well be a baller at it.

    from ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might be interested in this TED talk (if you haven't already watched it):

    http://www.ted.com/talks/conrad_wolfram_teaching_kids_real_math_with_computers.html

    ReplyDelete